Having pets is not a reason for joy and peace. Cats, dogs, fishes, rabbits, you name it! But the excitement takes up a whole new level when it’s those beautiful parrots who say, “now who’s talking”. Right? Here given the most affordable parrots to have as your pet.
Of course, these flawless creatures are not everyone’s cup of tea when it comes to providing for their livelihood. Not to mention the expense that comes during the first few months to set up their perfect habitat. At the same time, parrots at home are way too cool to not think about.
So how do you find affordable parrots that are also healthy and thriving? Well, in this article, you will get to know the 7 most affordable parrots that make the perfect pets you can dream of!
How expensive are parrots?
Just as for the maintenance of any pets, you obviously need a certain amount of money to meet the necessary expenses. In the case of parrots, you can expect to spend at least $300 to $1500 annually, and the monthly expense lies in between $25 to $100.
Needless to say, their food takes up most of the money so the best thing you can do is to buy in bulk. And of course, various other factors influence the type of parrots you will buy. This includes the species, the size, colors, breeders, health status, etc. These are also some of the reasons why parrots are usually considered expensive. And training your parrot is a whole other thing that requires your time, money, and effort accordingly. Not to mention, the expense that comes with buying cages and even toys if needed for your parrots.
Besides the investment of money, you also need to spend a lot of time keeping your parrots happy and healthy. Although they are easy to look after, being social beings, parrots thrive the best when interacted with frequently, unless you buy one that prefers to stay in their zone. It is also important that they do fall into the category of wild animals and therefore require extra care in order to be made comfortable at home.
7 Most Affordable Parrots
If you are confused and still haven’t been able to make the right choice regarding your ideal parrot, here are a few options you can choose from;
- The Budgie: Dressed in exotic colors and often seen at the local pet stores, the budgie is globally the most affordable parrot. The best part? They talk! Aka parakeets, budgies usually range from $10 to $35 and their monthly expenses are highly likely to fit your budget. They are friendly and by that, I mean literally friendly. Who doesn’t want to have a friend who is a talking parrot? Budgies are extremely popular for their ability to mimic human speech and can easily catch up with phrases and words you say. So the next time you get home after a busy day, are leaving for work in a hurry, or are simply enjoying the weekend indoors, be sure to have a good laugh with your little pal budgie!
- Cockatiel: Now who could beat this beauty?! Immensely popular and budget-friendly, cockatiels are the life of the party. Known to be really loving, and playful, these parrots have a lifespan of up to 15 years! Some may even stay for 25-30 years. The female cockatiels make the classic introverts, so you have to be pretty lucky if one utters a word or sound to you! No offense to introverts, though! The male cockatiels on the other hand talk pretty well and make good companions. Although the prices vary for the type of cockatiel you are buying, their annual expense usually lies between $200 and $300.
- Lovebirds: Active, fun, smart, and cute? Lovebirds couldn’t be defined better. Categorized as one of the smallest parrots, these beauties range from $100 to $150. And their annual expense mostly does not exceed $200. They have a lifespan of up to 10-20 years. Contrary to popular belief or opinion, however, you may call it, a lovebird does not necessarily need a partner. Needless to say, you obviously need to give it enough love and attention to keep it happy.
- The Indian Ringneck Parakeet: Adorned in a black necklace and dressed in lush green, the Indian Ringneck Parakeet is nothing less than fascinating. They usually range from $400 to $500. Besides the fact they are great talkers, these parrots are really intelligent, charming, and outgoing, which puts them in the spotlight forever. Indian Ringneck Parrots are also great at memorizing so don’t be surprised when they tell you the same things you have uttered!
- Conures: If you are someone living alone or simply want to make your home a tad more lively, go for conures. Although their talking skills are not as impressive as other parrot species, they can screech and sing, giving you the entertainment you need. And just the same way, conures need enjoyment for themselves as well which requires you to keep them occupied and active. They are at their best when interacted with and are surprisingly pretty cuddly! Conures start at $200 and above, which makes them the perfect fit for your budget as well.
- Pionus parrot: This is another inexpensive parrot that can keep you company for 20 to 40 years at the least. They are the opposite of conures, that is, really quiet and easy-going. To put it short, Pionus parrots are comparatively ‘chill’ and gentle. However, they do love attention and therefore make one of the best family pets. Not to mention their exquisite blue-green attire! The annual expense for Pionus parrots ranges from $300 to $400 which again makes them the perfect pets whether or not you are looking for parrots.
- The Australian King Parrot: Most parrots thrive off human attention. This one however does love human interactions but also favors their independence and alone time equally. Similar to an ambivert, to better put it, if you will, the Australian King Parrot prefers to be less handled and can come off less affectionate. It is also said that these parrots are less likely to bond with their owners. But don’t fret! They do like to socialize, mostly if hand-raised. And who doesn’t love their red-green feathers?! The prices for Australian King Parrots may differ from $100 to $500
There are many other parrots that are budget-friendly and come in vibrant colors. In addition to estimating the expense, it is also a good idea to educate yourself as much as you can about the parrot you have chosen for purchase. This can further help you know better how to better maintain the health and wellness of your parrots. Hope the above given 7 most affordable parrots list has helped you in choosing the right one.